Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Thoughts

In bed last night, I was thinking about how everybody keeps a different part of their lives private. We all have something about ourselves that we don't talk about easily, but it fascinates me how different this thing is for everyone.

Blogs especially illuminate this because you may think you know all about someone based on their blog, only to find out they were struggling with something that they never wanted to share on their blog. Or there's a part of themselves they are more uncomfortable talking about.

It reminds me of a quote by Thomas Friedman I loved when he was talking about the middle east

"After the kidnappings began in Beirut, I aquired a healthy respect for how little I had really penetrated the place. I gained an equally healthy respect for the notion that the real story is often found not in the noise but in the silence - and that is why it is so often missed."

No real point to this (I'm not looking for everyone to start guessing my hidden secrets!), just what I was mulling over this morning while drinking my latte and the "coffee" that Saben keeps bringing me in his stacking cups.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this! Blogs are really interesting in that way...some people are completely transparent, posting about all of life's struggles, while others write solely about the happy stuff. I try to be somewhere in between...

I DO love learning more about you dear friend, through YOUR blog :)

P.S. And I love your post about your day- sounds quite similar to mine...

P.P.S. I miss you!!

P.P.P.S. You got your hot tub!? Lucky bum.