Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The story

On Monday, Annika sort of tumbled off a balance beam while trying to get on it and managed to chip her two top front teeth on the leg of the beam. The dentist was closed, so I thought we'd get in Tuesday...On Tuesday they were full so we went in this morning. I figured they would just examine her & if anything needed to be pulled we'd go back in later.

In the meantime, one tooth started to just barely change color. Uh oh. This morning we went in and got xrays - one tooth was abscessing and had to come out immediately, the other was fine and will just be chipped.

I called Kyle and he came to hold her while it got pulled. (I get nauseous just thinking about being there for it, but I'm sure I could have done it if I'd had to.) She had nitrous, squirmed during the shot, and then was fine for the rest of it. She was upset when I took the gauze out and it felt funny, but after crepes for lunch (with nutella & banana) and a polly pocket shopping spree, she has been doing great.

It's been a very emotional week for me and I'm not sure you ever really understand until you are a mom and your child's smile is changed for the next 4-5 years. I am so thankful its nothing worse and I know its small in the grand scheme of things. But there's still part of me that would rather she'd broken her arm so it would heal & go back to normal. Teeth don't. They are so visible, and now whenever she smiles I'll be reminded that she got hurt and how vulnerable she is.

Or maybe every time she smiles, I'll smile back and be amazed at my spunky brave girl. Because really....a missing tooth sums up her personality perfectly.

3 comments:

Sandy Young said...

that's my girl! She is a spunky one. I think you will always see that gap and be reminded of her personality and that is a perfect way to view this!! Reminds me that when Kyle was about her age he fell on my parents back concrete steps and jammed one of his front teeth up into his gum and also chipped it. It eventually moved back down and was discolored. Let's just be happy it is not a permanent tooth! I know how you must be feeling....kind of like I felt the first time one of the kids got a cavity!! What, not everything is PERFECT??? You've gotta love that Annika!! Post a photo!!

Kristen Gough said...

oh man! i'm sorry, kari. what an ordeal. i love your attitude and perspective about it, and am, as always, inspired by your mother's heart! those photos up top are priceless--annika obviously isn't phased one bit!

~beautyandjoy~ said...

Oh, I have to admit I choked up a bit with you. It is both awesome to see evidence of their spunkiness and also a little sad. I hear you. She is so beautiful, though and will have awesome bragging rights for years to come of her bravery!