Thursday, September 14, 2006

Tiny steps towards mutiny


Recently, Saben's favorite part of the day is diaper changing time. It's not that my son particularly relishes a clean bum, he just really enjoys kicking me. The moment I lay him on the changing table, the games begin. His little legs thrash around aiming straight for my midsection, chest and hands as they try to get to his diaper. Awful, unruly behavior to be sure... except for the joyous giggles and twinkling eyes that accompany it.

Patty cake? Boring. Tickle games? eh. Trying to kick the daylights out of mommy? Hilarious. I can just imagine myself in some public bathroom in a few months where my son is pounding my midsection while I struggle to secure his diaper and people shaking their heads wondering why moms today don't discipline and actually let kids kick them.

It's not that I don't want it to stop, I sure don't find it particularly hilarious. But whenever I say no, he looks so confused for a second. The giggles die, the eyes look sad. And then he shrugs and lands a solid one on my arm, laughing again. I even tried gently flicking his little legs in a moment of frustration. (or maybe not so gently after he delivers a blow to the gut) The instant change from glee to heartbreak killed me.

3 comments:

ali said...

oh my stars...how cute is he?! p.s...ya need a nailgun?!Sorry we didn't get to do the proper handshake thing!

Anonymous said...

he is adorable; right at that growth spurt where they can use those little legs to run - and they know it...

(visiting from the wallpaper of my mind site)

Anonymous said...

Ah, too cute! And here I was thinking my daughter was the only one who enjoyed using her mother as a kick board. :|